The new obligations imposed by the legislation, together with the social demand in relation to the surveillance of the safety and health conditions of the productive activity, have made organizations regardless of size and sector to which they belong. They increasingly manifest themselves interested in achieving occupational health and safety management that allows controlling their risks and complying with current legislation.
It is therefore a question of defining a general system for the prevention of occupational hazards that is integrated into business management in order, among other things, to avoid or minimize risks for workers and help achieve continuous improvement within the organization.
In order to meet this need, the best tool is the implementation of an occupational risk management system based on the ISO 45001:2018 standard.
This international standard, published in March 2018, incorporates numerous significant changes in relation to its predecessor OHSAS 18001:2007. As will be seen throughout the Program, these changes are produced either by the adoption of a high-level structure (Annex SL), or by those others attributable to the field of occupational safety and health (OSH).
ISO 45001:2018 is the first in its scope that incorporates a structure compatible with the requirements of ISO 9001 quality standards and ISO 14001 environmental standards (in their respective current versions). Therefore, it will allow companies to facilitate the implementation of an integrated management system, in order to achieve a common framework and greater effectiveness and efficiency in its integration with other processes that the organization approves.
The distance-training Program presented here responds to the new demands, providing criteria, rigor and, above all, common sense, when transferring the policy on safety and health to the organization.
Who is the programme for?
The proposed training methodology, added to the clarity, breadth and didactics of content design, makes it possible to direct the program in ISO 45001 to all those prevention technicians who need to implement a management system for occupational risk prevention in the company.
Upon successful completion of the Program, the student will receive the degree issued by the University where he/she is enrolled with the sponsorship of Iberoamerican University Foundation (FUNIBER).
The estimated duration of the program in ISO 45001 is of 100 hours (10 credits)1.
Regarding the distribution of time, it is established that:
- Being a distance program and not being subject to face-to-face classes, no specific start date is established, so the student can formalize the enrollment at any time, as long as there are seats available.
- The maximum time available to carry out the Program is three months. In this period of time, the student must have delivered the corresponding assessments to the subjects.
The credit structure of the Program in ISO 45001, is shown in the following table:
a. The equivalency in credits may vary depending on the university you graduate. One (1) ECTS credit (European Credit Transfer System) equals 10 + 15 hours. If the student attends the enrolled Program in a university not belonging to the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), the relationship between credits - hours may vary.
b. Duration in months.
- Train competent professionals to carry out the design, execution and monitoring of a prevention management system based on the ISO 45001:2018 standard, which enables the creation and maintenance of a preventive culture that prevents occupational accidents and diseases in the company.
- Exposing the different types of work accidents and their possible consequences.
- Explain the differences between occupational diseases and occupational diseases.
- Provide an estimate of the costs of accidents for the worker, the company and society.
- Argument preventive action based on accident investigation.
- Justify the use of indicators and control methods to monitor the company's accident rate.
- Exemplify the concepts of incident and work accident in its legal and technical-preventive aspect.
- Justify the new approach in the management of occupational risk prevention and its integration in the overall management of the company.
- Sustain the planning process of the preventive activity within a management system, based on an assessment of the risks and opportunities.
- Explain the background and the new structure of the ISO 45001 standard in relation to OHSAS 18001, focusing on the transition process and the certification of the OSH management system.
- Laying the foundations for the implementation of ISO 45001:2018 in companies of any size or sector.
- Present the documented information expressly required by ISO 45001:2018 and some templates supported by practical cases for the control and monitoring of the OSH management system.
- Publicize the audit procedures for the prevention of occupational risks.
Some of the career opportunities of the Program in ISO 45001 are the following:
- Independent consultant in occupational risk prevention.
- Advisor for the design, implementation and monitoring of the implementation of ISO 45001 in companies of any sector, both large and medium or small, public or private.
- Occupation in auditing entities.
- Coordination and monitoring of risk control and reduction programs.
- Technician in training centers in occupational risk prevention.
The program in ISO 45001 consists of two subjects, which allow to know and understand, firstly, the theoretical, conceptual and historical foundations involved in the management of occupational risk prevention and, secondly its organizational, social and technological implementation within business activities.
The objective is to ensure that students acquire a global vision of the integration of a prevention management system within business activities, through different related multidisciplinary themes.
These subjects, despite being independent of each other, are self-contained and structured according to a coherent pedagogical order. Each one is divided into basic thematic units or chapters, whose content must be studied to successfully answer the various evaluation activities.
Description of the Subjects
- FUNDAMENTALS OF OCCUPATIONAL RISK PREVENTIONS
The fundamental and basic concepts are presented in terms of working conditions, as well as their possible repercussions on the safety and health of workers and the preventive techniques that must be applied for their evaluation and improvement.
- GENERAL CONCEPTS
- Introduction. Work concept. Health concept. Working conditions. Concept of occupational risk. Concept of prevention. Concept of protection. Active, reactive and complementary safety techniques.
- DAMAGES DERIVED FROM WORK
- Accident and work incident. Professional illness. Costs of work accidents and occupational diseases. Costs of prevention. Failures in the control of accidents, illnesses and incidents. Inspection of technical safety and investigation of accidents.
- STATISTIC ANALYSIS
- Statistical indices of accidents. Statistical control methods. Practical cases.
- ISO 45001
The necessary knowledge is provided to integrate occupational risk prevention management into business activities and actions through a model implemented in the ISO 45001 standard, as well as the analysis of the different stages of the occupational risk prevention audit process.
- THE ROLE OF PREVENTION IN THE GLOBAL MANAGEMENT OF THE COMPANY
- Background. The reactive system of action. Elements of success of the active system of action. Integration of preventive activity. How is the integration of occupational risk prevention achieved? What is a management system for occupational risk prevention? Types of management models.
- PLANNING OF PREVENTIVE ACTIVITY IN THE COMPANY
- Introduction. Definition of preventive planning. Planning by objectives and rules of procedure. Aspects of the planning of preventive activities. General planning procedure.
- THE ISO 45001:2018 STANDARD
- Introduction. Background of the ISO 45001:2018 standard. High-level structure: Annex SL. Main changes of ISO 45001:2018 with respect to OHSAS 18001:2007. Priorities in the implementation. Certification of the OSH management system according to ISO 45001:2018.
- IMPLEMENTATION OF ISO 45001:2018 STANDARD
- Introduction. Object and field of application. Normative references. Terms and definitions. Context of the organization. Leadership and participation of workers. Planning. Support. Operation. Performance evaluation. Improvement.
- DOCUMENTED INFORMATION OF THE OSH MANAGEMENT SYSTEM ACCORDING TO ISO 45001:2018
- Introduction. Level I: Occupational safety and health management manual. Level II: procedures. Level III: instructions. Level IV: records. Control of documentation.
- LABOR RISK PREVENTION AUDIT
- General concepts about prevention audits. Audit principles. Objectives of prevention audits. Types of audits in prevention of occupational risks. The audit process. Evaluation of the occupational risk prevention audit. Necessary requirements to carry out an audit of occupational risk preventions.
Note: The content of the academic program may be subject to slight modifications, depending on the updates or improvements made.
- Dr. Eduardo Garcia Villena. PhD in Project Engineering: Environment, Security, Quality and Communication at Universidad Politécnica de Cataluña. Academic Director of the Environment Department of the Iberoamerican University Foundation.
- Dr. Víctor Jiménez Argüelles. PhD in Project Engineering: Environment, Security, Quality and Communication at Universidad Politécnica de Cataluña. Master in Engineering at UNAM (Mexico City) and Professor specialized in occupational risk preventions in the industrial sector.
Teaching staff and Authors
- Dr. José María Redondo Vega. Full Professor of the Department of Geography and Geology at Universidad de León.
- Dr. Cristina Hidalgo González. PhD in Economic and Business Sciences at Universidad de León. Full Professor of the Department of Applied Economics at Universidad de León.
- Dr. Olga Capó Iturrieta. PhD in Project Engineering: Environment, Security, Quality and Communication, by the Polytechnic University of Catalonia Responsible for the Project Area of the Agricultural Research Institute (INIA), Chile.
- Dr (c). Lina Pulgarín Osorio. PhD in Projects, by the Iberoamerican International University (in process). Master’s Degree in Integrated Management: Prevention, Environment and Quality at Universidad Politécnica de Cataluña. Program Coordinator and Professor at FUNIBER.
- Dr (c). Carmen Lilí Rodríguez Velasco. PhD in Education at the Iberoamerican International University (in process). Master's Degree in Occupational and Organizational Psychology at University de la Havana, Cuba. International Academic Coordinator of the Management Development Area, Business Organization and Human Resources and Professor at FUNIBER.
- Dr (c). Diego J. Kurtz. PhD in Engineering and Knowledge Management at PPGEGC - UFSC (in process). Master’s Degree in International Business - Wiesbaden Business School, Germany. Researcher of the Management Nucleus for Sustainability (www.ngs.ufsc.br) and Junior Researcher of the Dynamic SME Project (www.dynamic-sme.org). Program Coordinator and Professor at FUNIBER.
- Dr (c). Diana Patricia Cortés Díaz. PhD in Projects at the Iberoamerican International University (in process). Master's Degree in Human Resources and Knowledge Management at Universidad de León, Spain. Specialized consultant in Labor Law and Social Security. Program Coordinator and Professor at FUNIBER.
- Ms. María Eugenia Luna Borgaro. Master's Degree in Human Resources and Knowledge Management at Universidad de León, Spain. Expert in Human Resources Management and Management Skills. Professor at FUNIBER.
FUNIBER Training Scholarships
The Iberoamerican University Foundation (FUNIBER) periodically allocates an extraordinary economic item for the FUNIBER Formation Scholarships.
To apply, you must complete complete the information request form that appears on the FUNIBER website or communicate directly with the foundation office in your country that will inform you if it is necessary to provide any additional information.
Once the documentation is received, the Evaluating Committee will examine the suitability of its application for the granting of financial aid, in the form of a FUNIBER Formation Scholarship.