New means of Communication require new professionals with current knowledge, different points of view and innovational tools so as to take advantage of the strong impact that technology has on journalism.
The Specialization program in Journalism and Information Science intends to train professionals to develop critical thinking skills based on practical and up-to-date knowledge, so that they not only adapt to this new panorama, but become pioneers in the managing of journalistic information as well.
The program focuses on developing knowledge and new tools for journalism as it is practiced, designed in such a way so that professionals can successfully perform within the current journalistic context.
Who is the programme for?
The Journalism and Information Sciences program’s academic structure is aimed primarily at:
- Certified graduates in Journalism.
- Certified graduates in Communication Sciences and Social Sciences (Sociology, Political Science, Humanities, etc.).
- People with extensive experience in journalism that want updated knowledge to enter new business areas.
Successful completion of the Program will enable you to be awarded the degree in Journalism and Information Science.
After successfully completing the Program, the student will receive the degree as awarded by the University where they have enrolled.
The estimated duration for the completion of the program of Journalism and Information Sciences is 1 year.
Regarding the distribution of time, it is established that:
- Being a distance program and not subject to classes, a specific start date is not set, so that the student can enroll at any time, provided there are spaces available.
- For academic reasons the program has a minimum duration of 9 months.
- The maximum time available for the completion of program is 12 months. In this time period, the student must have passed all assignments and the Final Project.
The structure of credits and hours of the program for Journalism and Information Sciences is shown in the following table:
|1st Part: Subjects||31||9||310|
|2nd Part: Final Project||10||3||100|
a. The equivalent value of credits can differ according to the university that grants the degree.
b.Length in months
- The main objective of the program for Journalism and Information Sciences is to provide professionals with the skills for proper information processing, while teaching the techniques to conduct a journalistic investigation, to interview with a strategic vision, and practical guidance in accordance with the objectives of current journalistic practices.
- To develop professional writing skills necessary to translate information in different formats for written and digital media.
- To acquire skills in the production of journalistic messages in different areas.
- To train journalists who not only are successful in today´s media , but who also contribute to the development of the 21st Century journalism.
- To provide students with updated knowledge on various journalistic specialties and prepare them for the employment needs of agencies, press, radio, television and Internet.
- To reflect on the rules and ethical principles that govern the field.
Some of the career opportunities for graduates of the program of Journalism and Information Sciences are the following:
- Editorial Director.
- Journalist for traditional and digital media.
- Reporter for different media.
The Program of Journalism and Information Sciences is composed of a block of eight subjects and a Final Project.
- 1ST PART: SUBJECTS (310 HOURS)
The first part of the specialization allows students to learn in depth the origins of the journalistic genre, its historical development and how ICT plays a key role in this genre. It also seeks to teach the technical and practical skills needed for research, treatment of sources, conducting interviews and writing news events, that vary depending on the support of each media outlet.
Subjects and hours that make up the first part are shown in the following table:
|1||History and genres of journalism||40|
|2||Investigative Journalism-ICT Application||40|
|3||Qualitative Research and Quantitative Journalism||40|
|4||Journalistic Interview (written press-radio-TV)||40|
|5||Information sources and news preparation||40|
|6||Media Analysis and Criticism||40|
|7||Reports and press (radio, television, press and Internet)||40|
These subjects are independent, yet structured according to a coherent pedagogical sequence that facilitates its understanding from simple to complex. Each course is divided into basic thematic units or chapters, the contents of which include printed material to be studied in order to answer satisfactorily the tests.
- 2ND PART: FINAL COURSE WORK OR PROJECT (100 HOURS)
The last phase of the program is devoted to the development of the Final Project.
The objective is to present a document containing a proposal from the initial idea to its transfer to audiovisual media. As a summary of the program, the project should address the different fields that were studied.
|1||FINAL COURSE WORK OR PROJEC||100|
- Dr. Federico Fernández. Doctor of Education from the University of Barcelona. Dean of the School of Social Sciences and Humanities, European University of the Atlantic. Expert in Project Planning and Design. Film and video producer. Researcher and author of numerous publications about the audivisual production industry and multimedia.
- Dr. Santiago Tejedor. Doctor in Journalism. Professor of the Journalism Department. Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Dra (c). Patricia Martínez. Coordination Area of Communication - FUNIBER.
Teaching staff and Authors
- Dr. Irene Garcia Rondon. Doctor in Economics from the University of Havana. Specialist in Business Sciences with a Master in Marketing and Sales Management. Expert in Communication, Public Opinion and Media Criticism Research.
- Dr. Federico Fernandez. Doctor of Science in Education at the University of Barcelona. Researcher at the Department of Projects Engineering from the Polytechnic University of Catalunya-UPC. Expert in Project design and planning. Director of film and video. Researcher and author of numerous publications on production and audiovisual, and the multimedia industry.
- Dr. Vladimir Vega. Expert in advertising communication techniques. Doctor in Economic Sciences. Master and University Expert in in tourist business management at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, University of Matanzas, Cuba. Professor at the University of Matanzas and CONAS Director – Associate Consulters S.A.
- Dr. Santiago Giraldo Luque. Doctor in Communication and Journalism from the Autonomous University of Barcelona. Master's degree in Communication and Journalism, and Master in Communication and Education. Political Scientist (Bachelor of Arts in Political Science). Author of publications on communication, journalism and citizenship. Researcher and Professor -UAB.
- Dr. Benito Escobar. Doctor in the Performing Arts - UAB. Bachelor of Arts and aesthetics of the Catholic University of Chile. He is the founder and first president of Chile in NAP (National Association of Playwrights). Expert in expressive techniques of public communication and classroom communication.
- Dr. Ernesto Negrín. Expert in Protocol and Public Relations. Doctor in Technical Sciences. Master's degree in the Management of Production and Services by the University of Matanzas (Cuba). Consultant in Management and Organizational Communication in various Latin American countries.
- Dr. Lucía Pérez Sanagustín. Doctor in journalism and new technologies for education, Complutense University of Madrid - Spain. Community manager and communication strategies of educational projects in the Ibero-American Network program of cooperation, ICT and Education (Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport). Doctoral Researcher - Autonomous University of Barcelona-UAB
- Dr. Fermín Ferrioll. Expert in Market Research. Master in Direction Sciences and Auxiliary professor. Ibero-American International University, Mexico.
- Dr. Carlos Monte (Montecarlo). A Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts and PhD: "Narrative Structures in Visual Media" (expected 2013). Film and transmedia narrative Expert. Official Master in "Fiction in film and television. Production and development" in Cinema and TV from the University of Ramon Llull. Extensive experience and involvement in numerous Spanish audiovisual productions. Director of film and video. Prof. at the University of Ramon Llull and the Universitat de Barcelona.
- Dr. Fidel Ortiz Ordaz. Doctor in Economic Sciences. Researcher and Business Consultant from the University "Saiz Brothers" of Pinar del Rio. Master in Direction from the University of Havana. Postgraduate Degree in: Organizational culture and change; Strategy and Technology with Market Orientation from the University of Seville, Spain.
- Dr. Alberto Jorge Acosta. General Director of Pictures, Development and Human Resources from the University of Matanzas in Cuba. A Bachelor's degree in Psychology, specializing in the Social and Organizational branch. Specialist in Planning and Strategic Management, Organizational Development and Human Resources Management. Prof. in the School of Management and Administration-EADA, Barcelona, Spain.
- Dr. Fernando Sabés. Doctor in Audiovisual Communication and Advertising from the Autonomous University of Barcelona. Research in R and D Projects in Spain. Author of numerous scientific and technical publications on topics of Communication. Faculty Professor of Communication Sciences -UAB
- Dr. (c) Carmen Lili Rodríguez. Doctoral Candidate in Projects. Master's degree in Occupational and Organizational Psychology. Professor in the Area of Businesses – FUNIBER
FUNIBER Training Scholarships
The Iberoamerican University Foundation (FUNIBER) allocates periodically an extraordinary economic item for FUNIBER Training Scholarships.
To apply, please fill out the information request form that appears in the web of FUNIBER or contact directly the Foundation’s headquarters in your country that will inform you if you need to provide some additional information.
Once the documentation is received, the Evaluation Committee will determine your application's eligibility for the FUNIBER Training Scholarship.